At first I was upset that Starbucks announcing the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte was the first signifier of fall. But then I realized I ought to be excited because lets be honest, who doesn’t want to drink a liquid, caffeinated version of pumpkin pie? (Even if it is the first of September!)
After spending over $5 on one Latte I decided to deprive myself of this lovely drink…Until I discovered that the internet is rife with copycat recipes. Usually I just pin recipes, deluding myself into thinking I will someday actually make them. But this time I all but ran to my kitchen, ready to get started.
This recipe is actually ridiculously simple, and the best part is that it keeps in the refrigerator for 1 month. The recipe is also very easily manipulated into making 1/2 a batch or doubling a batch, etc. And let me tell you, from the reactions I have gotten when I tell people at school about this magical drink, it would make a perfect birthday/holiday/Christmas/friend gift for any college student ever.
Basically you just simmer all the ingredients, strain out the larger particles, and stick it into the refrigerator until you are ready to put it in things.
I imitate Starbucks by putting a few tablespoons into a latte, but you could use the syrup in regular coffee, hot chocolate, other desserts…the sky is the limit!
Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
1/4-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1) In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the water and sugars to a simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
2) Add in the spices and pumpkin puree and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally and do not let it boil!
3) Strain the syrup to remove the larger particles, and let it rest on the counter until room temperature.
4) Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte (The cop-out college student with some cool kitchen gadgets version)
What you will need:
The Above Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1) Make strong coffee and set it aside, along with the spice syrup.
2) Heat some whole milk in the microwave until hot. Take it out and use a frother to incorporate air into the milk.
You don’t need to be artsy, but this is what you will end up with before you put the latte together.
3) Mix the coffee and 2-3 tablespoons of syrup in the bottom of a mug. (This could be the mug you made the coffee in, depending on how you have made your coffee. I have a single cup/pour over type thing, so I use the original cup)
4) Pour the frothed milk into the coffee.
Don’t hold a camera and take pictures of yourself doing this…
5) I like to add super-frothed milk foam to the top, and then dust it with nutmeg, cuz I’m fancy like that 😉
And once you have done this long dance…the question is how long will the coffee last? I’m going to let you know now, you should probably start making a second latte.