The other night I had over a bunch of people for dinner. It was going to be a potluck/movie night, and the main things I was focusing on were my baked goods. Because I was busy running around baking and cleaning my apartment, I searched until I found a recipe that was simple to put together, easy to eat, and easy to serve to a large crowd. What I ended up with was this Antipasto Pasta Salad, which is basically an entire meal in one bowl!
The pasta is delicious, and is a dish that could be easily modified depending on what you have in your fridge… or what jumps out at you walking down the aisles at the grocery store! I used a regular wheat pasta, though I suspect it would be equally delicious with a whole wheat or gluten free pasta.
All the ingredients are chopped/sliced/etc. while the pasta is cooking.
Then, everything is combined into a bowl and the dressing is made. The dressing is very light, much like a salad dressing. One of the great things about this dressing is that it can sit out for several hours without going bad, and it doesn’t congeal or get gross after sitting in the fridge either.
And it is that simple! Everything is just thrown together into one bowl! Enjoy!
Antipasto Pasta Salad
Inspired by The Kitchen is My Playground
3-4 cups dry pasta, wheat or gluten free
1 (6-8oz) package sliced turkey
1/3 pound thick sliced hard salami
1/2-1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1/4-1/2 medium red onion
1/2-1 yellow pepper
1 (1 pound) block mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1) Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Rinse the cooked pasta under cold water, and drain thoroughly.
2) Slice or cube the turkey, salami, tomatoes, onion, pepper and cheese, and place in a large bowl.
3) Add the pasta to the vegetables and stir to combine.
4) Whisk the vinegar and oil together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Add in the salt, pepper, basil and Italian seasoning and whisk again.
5) Pour the dressing over the pasta to taste and stir again.
6) Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.