The last three days have been a whirlwind of cupcakes and finals. Thankfully, the semester is finally over and I am ready for a summer full of baking! 😀
Anyhow, I made these Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream for someone’s birthday, and though I was a little nervous because I had never used this recipe before, I was incredibly happy with how they turned out. Because I was so happy with the cupcakes, I took even more pictures than usual, but I hope you enjoy them!
ALright, the cupcakes began in much the same way as baked goods usually do: with lots of butter. However these were freshened up with lemon zest. One thing I liked about this recipe was that the lemon zest was whipped with the butter, which really infused the lemon flavor throughout the cupcakes.
The cupcakes also have buttermilk and lemon juice, which adds to the flavor and texture.
This recipe was supposed to make 24 regular sized cupcakes, but I made one pan of regular cupcakes and one pan of mini cupcakes. Here are some pre-baking and post-baking pictures.
I made the cupcakes on Monday, then kept them in the fridge overnight. On Tuesday, I made frosting for the mini cupcakes. The frosting is a fairly typical buttercream, but with the addition of pureed blackberries and lemon juice to give them some color and zing.
Then I put the frosting into two piping bags, one with a small star tip and one with a small petal tip.
On half of the cupcakes I piped swirls, and on the other half small roses. The color was so pretty, and I am super excited they turned out so well!
Then on Wednesday I whipped up another batch of frosting for the regular sized cupcakes. This time, I used a larger petal tip in addition to the small star tip, and I added fresh blackberries to the top of the cupcakes with the swirled frosting.
**I also updated the recipe (mostly on accident) to create a version with Blueberry Buttercream! Check out the results and pictures here!
Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream
Inspired by Tide and Thyme’s Recipe
3 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 lemon, zested
2 cups of sugar
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 cup butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup blackberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
blackberries to garnish (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake tins with liners.
2) Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and lemon zest for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
4) Add the sugar in 1/2 cup increments, beating for about 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the sides down and add in the eggs one at a time.
5) Combine the buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla. Alternately add some of the buttermilk mixture and the dry ingredients to the batter, and mix until just combined.
6) Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7) For the frosting, puree the blackberries and set aside.
8) Cream the butter for one minute, until light and creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the butter. Add in the vanilla and half of the blackberry puree, and mix thoroughly. Add in the remaining blackberry puree slowly, until you reach the desired consistency.
9) Put the buttercream into piping bags and pipe the cupcakes as desired.