Yes, you guessed it, these Cauldron Cakes are based off of the ones mentioned throughout the Harry Potter books. (I mean really, are there any other kind?)
In case you didn’t already know, I am a complete and utter Harry Potter fan.
My undying love for the Harry Potter books was the basis of most of my first friendships, and when one of my fellow-HP-loving-friends was having a birthday last summer, I decided the perfect gift was not only cake but Harry Potter themed cake. (And through a happy accident, a Gryffindor colored cake as well!)
These cakes have several components, but are easy and super fun to make. There are also a ton of ways to adapt them to change their appearance, so get creative!
The cupcakes are a basic chocolate cake recipe. After they have baked and cooled, they get “cored” to make a spot for the mousse filling. Make sure to save the inside of the cupcakes for later.
Then the cupcakes are dipped in melted chocolate, to create a smooth finish
While these dry, pipe the handles to the cauldrons. Then, pipe mousse into the cupcakes
Finally, attach the chocolate handles and add sprinkles
Using the reserved cupcake insides and extra mousse, create some… umm I’m not sure what to call these, but they are cute!
Most of the components of this cake were inspired by Cook Like a Champion
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
•Preheat oven to 350º. Butter and flour a 12 cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, combine butter, chocolate and cocoa. Set over a small saucepan with simmering water and heat until melted. Remove from heat and whisk until smooth and thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.
•In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggs. Add sugar, vanilla and salt and mix on medium-low speed until combined. Add cooled chocolate mixture and continue mixing until chocolate is incorporated. Sift in one-third of the flour mixture and continue mixing, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed. Mix in sour cream, then sift in remaining flour mixture. Continue mixing and scraping the bowl until everything is combined. The batter will be thick.
•Divide batter evenly into muffin pan cups and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Chocolate Mousse Ingredients:
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
5 tablespoons hot water
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
• Place the cocoa powder and water in a bowl and set aside.
• In the bowl of a double boiler melt the chocolate until smooth, then set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
• Whip the cream and sugar for about 30 seconds until it begins to become thick. Increase to high and whip until soft peaks form.
• Whisk the cocoa powder mixture into the melted chocolate. Then fold one third of the whipped cream into the chocolate. Slowly fold the lightened chocolate mixture into the remaining whipped cream.
To make the Cauldron Cakes:
6-8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
red and yellow sprinkles
• Core the cupcakes using the cone method, saving the cones.
• Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the melted chocolate, then set out to harden.
• Using the remaining melted chocolate, pipe handles onto a pan lined with parchment paper and freeze until hardened.
• Pipe the mousse into the center of the cupcakes, then attach the hardened the chocolate handles onto the tops.
• Pipe more mousse onto each of the reserved centers of the cupcakes.
• Sprinkle each of the cupcakes with sprinkles, either of all colors or alternating colors.